Purpose: This website was developed to assist all teachers in teaching important Foundational Academic Skills so all students find success.
What We Know
This is what we know:
- Achievement increases significantly when districts have identified a small number of Foundational Academic Skills and are committed to working consistently on these skills.
- Having a common language for teachers and students is important.
- The Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects are now required for all 6-12 subject area teachers.
- The Next Generation Assessments will require a higher level of reading and writing across all disciplines.
- Not all students are successful reading and writing across a variety of content areas.
- Not all teachers feel comfortable teaching reading and writing in their content areas.
This resource was created in response to the demand for high quality literacy instructional tools to assist teachers and students in their literacy motivation, engagement and achievement.
Foundational Academic Skills Today
Foundational Academic Skills Today - department pages
A special thank you goes to the Foundational Academic Skills Today Committee for their time, talents, and expertise:
Jaren Bailey - Verona Area High School
Jeaneen Butler - Savanna Oaks Middle School
Kris Cody-Johnson - Verona Area High School
Holly Dowling - Savanna Oaks and Badger Ridge Middle Schools
Amber Eckes - Savanna Oaks Middle School
Rachelle Grace - Verona Area High School
Jodi Guttman - Badger Ridge Middle School
Dani Koenig - Verona Area High School
Stephanie Symes - Savanna Oaks Middle School
Teresa Voss - Verona Area High School
Renee Wedderspoon - Badger Ridge Middle School
The following Administrators provided support during the project:
David Jennings - Badger Ridge Middle School
Barbara James - Badger Ridge Middle School
Steve Penne - Savanna Oaks Middle School
Sandy Eskrich - Savanna Oaks Middle School
Pam Hammen - Verona Area High School
Donna L. Behn - Director of Instruction